Monday, August 19, 2013

All Dolled Up

Today's blog post is a little different from my usual. Instead of writing about and photographing clothes for humans, today is all about dolls.


look at all those lovely soulless eyes


As some of you may know, I've been to El Salvador a few times to volunteer at a children's afterschool program and at an eye health clinic. All year round, my family and I collect toys, books, school supplies, and all sorts of things to send to the kids in El Salvador (who are awesome and include some of our best friends).

We found some old, sad dolls at the Boutique at the dump in my town (where people abandon things they don't want - we've found some really cool stuff there (like one time I found a barely used Coach bag (that was a great day))).

We brought them home, hugged them to make them happy again, and made them some new clothes. (I really wish I remembered to take a "before" photo, because they looked horribly bedraggled to begin with.) We used the same pattern for each dress - a simple tunic style - and used different fabrics to bring out each doll's unique personality. Anya took on the brave job of brushing out their hair, and discovered that most of them had such awful hair, almost all of them got haircuts (coincidentally, as this was all occurring, we were watching the makeover episode of America's Next Top Model).

After our What Not To Wear-esque intervention, the dolls ended up looking much shinier and lovlier. We hope these dolls end up with a happy little girl :) (or boy, we don't judge)

No comments:

Post a Comment