Sunday, September 22, 2013

DIY Animal Sweater


Hello everyone! It's officially sweater weather, and one of this fall's popular trends is the animal sweater. Many high end brands such as Burburry and Miu Miu have pioneered this trend, but they are most likely out of your price range. Today I'll show you how to make a cheap, yet just as adorable, animal sweater. 
1. Get a plain, inexpensive crew neck sweatshirt. I got mine on sale at Old Navy. 
2. Print out a picture of your favorite animal in the size you want. I just searched "cat silhouette" in google images and found the one I liked. 
3. Cut it out and pin onto the fabric of your choice (which, for me, was a solid black broadcloth). I ironed interfacing onto the back to prevent fraying. 
4. Cut out the animal following the outline of your stencil and pin to the front of your sweatshirt. 
5. Use a zigzag stich to sew on your animal. This was the most difficult step. If the zigzag is too hard, you can use a simple straight stich. 
6. I felt my sweatshirt was still a little plain, so I added some stretch lace to the armhole seams in the front. The stretch made it a little harder to sew on, but I just pinned the lace on and tried my best to prevent it from stretching too much. I used a straight stich using my machine. 

Voila! You now own an adorable animal sweater for a tenth of the cost, and you can brag about how you made it yourself. I've worn this sweater with denim jeans, maroon jeggings, and, today, a graphic print legging and it looks great everyway. 
Hope you enjoyed the tutorial!
Xo

No comments:

Post a Comment